Subscribe Now: standard

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Where are our qualified buyers?

I am confronted by many willing buyers each week who seem to be very interested in a home I have showed them. After the showing, the buyers are filled with excitement and joy. Then we start to talk about numbers. Not my numbers, their numbers. These homes I have shown them are in the low to mid $100K's. I ask how much they are willing to put down as down payment, the smiles start to become smaller..... then a tone of nervousness. Then I ask if they have $3,000-$4,000 cash for their closing costs, they shake their head, the smile gone. I ask how their credit scores are, then the enthusiasm disappears as they say they've been behind in a few loans, or one has filed bankruptcy recently or a recent divorce. These are working couples or working individuals, where has their money gone? Not only am I faced by many willing first time home buyers but many have no money saved! NADA! That is the scary part. Do most buyers live pay check to pay check and have no money saved especially for a rainy day? Yikes! Do most buyers have an average to poor credit score? At least many are truthful. The debt of many people scare me, hey I didn't say I was a credit saint but what is out there is pretty scary. I am seeing more listings that are short sales. That's a term for a pre-foreclosure process. My mortgage partner tells me that since taxes are due in the next month, he is coming across people who need to refinance just to pay their taxes. Common buyers, please, take care of your credit, let go the expensive car, shoes, television, and save up! Live the American dream. Own a home!