Subscribe Now: standard

Monday, December 15, 2008

Buyers, please sign my Buyer Rep Agreement

I admit it, sometimes, I use my blog site to get things off my chest!

I met a buyer at my office. The buyer had given me their criteria, and we planned to meet at my office to go over the properties, hop in my car and show property. I whip out the Buyer Representation Agreement and there goes the Buyer, faster than a speeding bullet, out the door, Adios! Huh what happend, you ask?

The Residential Buyer/Tenant Representation Agreement is written by the Texas Association of Realtors, an agreement between the broker (me) and the buyer prospect for the purpose of acquiring property in Austin (my area). The form that I use is 4 pages long and is written by TAR, not by me. It spells out the duties of the broker and the buyer and the commission that the broker will obtain from the transaction. Most importantly, the agreement states that the buyer will work EXCLUSIVELY with that broker. That is what the buyer had a problem with. The buyer wanted to work with numerous brokers and which ever broker showed the buyer the property that the buyer wishes to purchase, that procuring broker will obtain the commission. Hmm, did you get that? I argued back and forth with the buyer, basically, I told the buyer that it is NOT how I ran my business. I am not in the business of driving buyers around in my car, wasting my time and gas, doing the research and hope and pray that I find them the home they buy.

Without going any further with my heating discussion with the buyer, who supposedly understood my position, but didn't want to be binded with one realtor, I just hope that YOU do not feel the same way. I want you to know that I do not work for FREE. I work hard for all my clients and treat them as if each client were my only client. With that said, I hope that YOU value my time and my efforts. My commission is my pay and I earned it. Just as you get paid at the end of your pay period, you would hope that your employer would pay you even if your team mate did most of the work.

Enough said, before you jump into my car, besides having a pre-qualification letter from your lender, a check book and the downpayment, please have your pen ready and sign my Buyer Representation Agreement.