Subscribe Now: standard

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Proud to call Austin, my home


Austin, Texas is the home of the Longhorns. Having moved here from Camas, Washington a few years ago, it never dawned on me that I would love this place just as much as Camas. The transition has not been easy as I fought coming here. Many moons later, I now consider Austin my home and I absolutely love the people and the topography.

Washingtonians are friendly, patient, laid back and trustworthy people. To find another place that will surpass the Camas environment would be hard. I fought that and it was hard. Then I learned to accept that Austin was going to be a place where my children would grow up.

The moment my eldest son, Ryan, started 6th grade, in Lake Travis Middle School, he became a Longhorn fan and had dreams of becoming a pro football player. The boy never played football in his life! When he entered 7th grade, his mind was made up. He played football and there we were, his parents who knew nothing about the game. But we were determined to sit in all of his games and a friend educated us as he became our personal commentator during all games. Of course, Chris, is a #1 Longhorn fan, a UT graduate. What other reason would he want to have a longhorn tatto on his arm for?

As soon as we moved to our new home in Lakeway, I confess, I became a Longhorn fan though to this day, I only understand 25% of the game. Hence, I had painted and decorated Ryan's room with burned orange and Longhorn paraphernalia. What can I say, I have the Longhorn bug. A trip to the coop was very damaging... $300 later on kids clothing and stuff I don't remember! I don't know how this could have happend. Could it have been because every other Austinite wore a Longhorn tee shirt, drive orange cars and talk nothing else about the game? Maybe, but these people just moved here! They are converts like me!

It's exciting to be a football mom and be a part of this city. The topography on the West side is something else. Never did I imagine that Austin would look like this. I can't wait for the next visitor to see and hopefully fall in love just like I did with this awesome city.