Subscribe Now: standard

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Do you bite more than you can chew?

I am a mom of 3 kids, a wife, have a full time and a very busy career and sometimes I feel crazy to put so many things in my plate that people think I am 'nuts'. I was really hoping to be called Super Mom but sometimes, I feel nutty.

The 2009 school year just began and having 3 kids in 3 schools (high school, middle school and elementary school) is no fun especially when I have just gone thru 3 parent nights in the 3 schools in 3 different days and today, parent/teacher conference. At every parent night, I somehow signed up to volunteer in EACH of the school's teacher appreciation luncheons or coaches luncheon (for the high school). Was I drinking? Sadly, no. In addition, I found myself teaching Faith Formation again at my church (Catechesis to some) and co-chairing the elementary school's second largest fundraiser, the school carnival. Yikes! I also volunteered to hold my own booth at the office's first Halloween Carnival. Today, I volunteered to teach 2 classes in short sales at my market center! Doesn't that require time for preparation? Just so you know, I also chair 2 other social committees for fun.

Why? Why? Why? Why do I do these things? Why do I make myself go crazy and deprive myself from rest and relaxation? Well for one thing, I don't know how to rest. I don't like to watch television, I love to read novels but lately they just put me to sleep. I teach because I love to educate people. I organize community events especially school events because I love watching the children enjoy these events. Actually, I am just young at heart. Come on, what organizer actually DRESSES UP LIKE A CLOWN to kick off the carnival ticket pre-sales? Then go to the office to fax a short sale offer after dodging the guests up front or the weird stares from my co-workers in the parking lot. "Pearl is that you? Why are you dressed like that? Your too early for halloween!"

But when I dig inside my head and find the real reason, it's because I love it and I have fun with it! I bite more than I chew because I enjoy food and the results... the happy faces, the hugs and the thank you's are just priceless. The key to the success is having a PDA or some type of organizer and have small goals each week so that I am not waiting for the last minute to accomplish everything. In fact, my office halloween booth supplies have been ordered and have arrived today. The menu for the coaches lunch for next month is figured in my head. Most of the carnival organization is complete and have delegated the work to committee chairs. It's amazing what you can do when you take small bites and chew slowly, there will be no left overs after a huge meal (or no small project left undone).

Next time you volunteer, ask yourself if the task on hand is something you will enjoy. If no, skip it and go to the next task. If you decide to do the task, do it with a SMILE and don't even think about an excuse. Why did you volunteer if you're just going to say, "I could have done a better job if I didn't have to do this or that." The excuses are like the bones when we chew.

When you put your name on the sign-up line, do it with love and you will enjoy the task and fruits of your labor. Focus on the positive and the results rather than the time commitment. After all, you volunteer because it's not about you but for others. Keep it up you may just end up like me!